DAAD Scholarships in Germany for Development-Related Postgraduate
Deadline: Aug-Oct 2022 (annual)
Study in: Germany
Next course starts AY 2023/2024
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) scholarships offer foreign graduates from development and newly industrialized countries from all disciplines and with at least two years’ professional experience the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognized German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
German Universities offering development-related postgraduate courses
Level/Field(s) of Study:
Masters or PhD courses in Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics; Development Cooperation; Engineering and Related Sciences; Mathematics; Regional and Urban Planning; Agricultural and Forest Sciences; Natural and Environmental Sciences; Medicine and Public Health; Social Sciences, Education and Law; and Media Studies.
Check here to see the complete list of eligible development-related postgraduate courses for 2023/2024.
Number of Scholarships:
The number is Limited
You can check here for students from ELIGIBLE COUNTRIES from different continents.
Beneficiaries of this scholarship will receive monthly payments of 861 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates; payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover; and travel allowance, except these expenses are covered by the home country of candidate or another source of funding.
The duration of this scholarship is 12 to 24 months (this depends on the particular institution) for Masters while it is 42 months for PhD.
To be eligible for this scholarship you have to meet the following criteria:
• You have to be currently working either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country. This means you have to be engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on development policies which have a bearing on technological, economic or social areas
• You have to hold a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
• You must have completed an academic degree and you must have scored far above average results (upper third). You also must have at least two years of related professional experience after the first degree (bachelor) at the time of application
• Your academic degrees should normally not be more than six years old.
• If you are enrolling to study courses in German (scholarship includes a 6-month German language course), you would have successfully passed the language examination DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before the start of the study course. This means that a minimum German language level of B1 at the time of application is a basic requirement you have to provide a certificate to be eligible for this scholarship.
• If you are interested in enrolling for courses in English language, you have to provide a certificate for IELTS (Band 6) or TOEFL (minimum score: 550 paper based, 213 computer based, 80 internet based)
Instructions on how to apply:
You have to write your application directly to the specific course you are interested in. Please make sure you refer to the respective course websites for the application procedure, the application deadline, and the documents to be submitted. Deadline varies depending on the course you applied for but always falls around August-October annually. Just make sure you always check the official website to be sure of the deadline for submission of application.
It is important that you read the FAQs and the 2023/2024 brochure and visit the official website to have access to the application form and for complete information on how you can apply for this scholarship.
Below is the Official Scholarship Website you should always checkout whenever you want to apply for this scholarship: